Wednesday, January 10, 2007

How I Got My First Credit

By Joy Go Round Karen Jones

I remember when I got my first credit and it was from a department store. The credit was only 200.00 dollars but I felt happy about being able to go to the mall and buy some junk with a card. I had a minimum wage job and had applied for regular cards like Visa and Mastercard and been denied a few times by those.

But one day I was offered an application at a department store and I filled it out and was approved. After paying for a few months on it in good standing I started receiving invites to other credit card places including the big names that denied me previously.

My car needed new tires so the second card I opted for was at a local tire shop. I paid that off in two months and was offered a higher limit and I really didn't think that was necessary. I mean, how many tires can I buy in a year?

This all became pretty exciting around the Holiday Gift giving season. I wound up buying very nice gifts for all the family and close friends. I'm serious when I say that it took me two years to pay off a single holiday spending spree I went on in one particular year. So, put your breaks on and slow down and don't buy too many nice things for so many people. It is a long process paying off when you have limited funds.

I think the best way to start your credit out is to go with a private kind of store and a small limit and work your credit from there. Be careful though! It takes time, but one day you can be in debt like me if you try hard enough!

Karen Jones http://www.joygoround.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home